记得ACS Style Guide里面说，当审稿人问到问题的，哪怕是他理解错误，这
Reviewer #3: While revising the script, it is to be suggested that author should clearly indicate the aim & scope of the study and while making conclusion, it is to be mentioned how the study is useful for the practical purposes. In addition the following are the few suggestions/comments, which may be included while revision.
1. Introduction part first para last line, author must avoid to write ambiguous statement i.e., much work is still ahead, may indicate properly.
2. Author could not demonstrate the reason why, to select the organic compound such as ethyl pyruvate for this study?
3. Experimental part: It is difficult to understand the in-situ RAIRS experiments with homemade liquid-solid RAIRS cell. More detailed information may be useful for the others those who are working in the area. Photograph of the assembled cell may be included.
4. The description given for the experimental set up (page 4) can be presented by flow diagram instead, as an ease to understand the set up.
5. Resluts Part (Page 6): "CO adlayers with identical monolayer coverages", the monolayer coverage, is it been performed with some adsorption model? Further, it was suggested that CO-saturated Pt surface, but not mentioned about the saturation experiments. Is it obtained after 60 min of CO bubbling?
6. Page 12, 2nd para: The displacement of EtPy by CCl4 flushing, is it confirmed by the EtPy peaks? If so, it has to be mentioned clearly in the para. Also in the same para, author referred for Fig. 7a and 7b but in the figures, it didn't appear, only figure 7 appeared. I feel it refers for figure 7, portion A and B, to be corrected. Similarly, in the text referred the fig 2a, 2b. etc but on the figure sheet it is mentioned as 2A, 2B .etc. to be corrected.
7. Page 14, 1st para: 'contamination of the Pt surface by corrosion of o-rings in high concentration EtPy', but the statement has not been supported by other evidence/literature.
8. Pages 14 through 17: the observed reactivity of various solvents for adsorbed CO on the Pt surface (figs 3 & 4) has to be discussed more precisely. This reviewer is unable to follow the reason why they showed different reactivity, is it principally due to the organic moieties, or due to the impurities of commercially available chemicals or a mixed effect. It has to be clearly demonstrated, however, the only experiment performed with CO/water? CCl4 would difficult to describe it in detail.
9. The author try to restrain with repeated arguments in the text e.g., page 3 para 1: It was generalized that........., also appeared on page 21 first para.
10. Captions of the figures are too long, the detailed description already given in the text, hence would not be included here. Captions should be short and crispy.
I quite appreciate your favorite consideration and the reviewer’s insightful comments. Now I have revised the JCIS-06-247 exactly according to the reviewer’s comments, and found these comments are very helpful. I hope this revision can make my paper more acceptable. The revisions were addressed point by point below.
[general] The objective of this research was added at the beginning of the third paragraph of Introduction. How the study is useful for practical purposes was added at the end of Conclusion as one paragraph.
 Ambiguous statement i.e., “much work is still ahead” was deleted.
 Ethyl pyruvate was used here as a typical compound (containing two carbonyl groups) to demonstrate the feasibility of using our diagnosing tool to detect low-coverage CO (coming from decarbonylation of EtPy) at the liquid-solid interface. EtPy is a reactant used in liquid-phase chiral catalysis, and slight decomposition of EtPy to adsorbed CO was reported to influence the catalytic performance. In addition, by studying that, we can directly compare our results with previous studies. More details in the first paragraph of Section 3.2.
 The IR cell was designed according to the IR cells used by many electrochemical workers. References were added. A photo was given in the Supporting Information.
 A flow diagram of the experimental setup was given in the new Fig. 1.
 The CO adsorption experiments were performed in the same adsorption mode, by bubbling CO through a clean Pt surface in different days to achieve the same saturation coverage of CO. Initial experiments indicated that given the CO bubbling rate was 0.85 cm3/min, CO can saturate on Pt after 30-45 min. We bubble CO for 60 min to guarantee the same CO coverage. If we bubble CO for more time, or if we increase the CO flowing rate several times, the CO saturation coverage doesn’t change, indicating 60 min is already enough. A figure showing the CO uptake as a function of bubbling time was given in the Supporting Information.
 The displacement of EtPy by CCl4 was confirmed by the removing of EtPy peaks. The mention of Fig. 7a and 7b etc. throughout the text were all corrected.
 It is known that some solvents such as acetone can corrode the Viton o-ring. We saw the damage of o-ring after using high-concentration EtPy. A reference to the Viton o-ring information was given.
 The observed reactivity trend is due to a combination of both effects, with the accumulation of organic moieties on Pt surface during numerous flushing cycles the more important reason. A few proper sentences were added to clarity this point.
 The repeated arguments in the first paragraph in Section 4.3 were deleted.
 The too-long captions were significantly shortened.
In all, I found the reviewer’s comments are quite helpful, and I revised my paper point-by-point. Thank you and the review again for your help!
Organic Chemistry on Solid Surfaces (Review)
Z. Ma, F. Zaera*, Surface Scence Reports 61 (2006) 229-281.
ScienceDirect TOP25 Hottest Articles in Chemistry
国人一篇文章投国际知名杂志的审稿意见，大家来学习一些注意的问题 施一公：优秀博士如何养成（全文） 第一篇SCI中遇到的问题汇总，也许你也有遇到的哦 第一篇SCI (IF>5)，心得交流（写的字数很多），希望多多交流！ SCI论文写作的模式及套路：让复杂的事情变简单 总结写综述的方法和技巧（写期刊文章也可以参考） 科研大牛是如何炼成的？ IEEE TNNLS 的录用过程及心得体会 医学论文写作经验，医学论文写作指导 盘点Gut杂志 2017年国内发表文章数量：31 PNAS接收，散经验 写科研论文的最高境界 也来谈一下第一篇比较好的文章出来的感受 二流学校硕士8篇SCI的一点感受 写论文一定要有个好的态度 两年来写SCI文章的个人感受 谈谈自己第一篇sci的经历 写综述的一点看法 Elsevier上发表论文的作者须知-——中英文 国内核心期刊投稿经验总结